Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 66.]

No. 66.

Mr. Commissioner Searancke to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Whangarei.Claims in Matapouri Block arranged.Whangarei, 20th September, 1864.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you, in reference to the old land claims at Matapouri, that I have at length succeeded in coming to an arrangement with the Natives, subject to the approval of the Government.

The difficulty in coming to a settlement of this claim was the opposition made by the Tutukaka Natives to the south boundary, which they have now withdrawn, on my promising them a small compensation in money.

The survey of the Matapouri Block is complete, with the exception of the south boundary, which I propose completing at the first opportunity; the area of this land will be between 4,000 and 5,000 acres to be ceded to the Government.

The sum the Natives have consented to receive, in full compensation for their claims, is One hundred and twenty pounds (£120).

I now beg to submit this arrangement and the payment to the claimants of the above sum for your approval.

I have, &c.,

William N. Searancke, District Commissioner.

The Hon. W. Fox,
Colonial Secretary,
Native Department.

Minute.

Referred to His Honor the Superintendent of Auckland. Does he approve?

W. Fox. 28th September, 1864.

Approved—

Robert Graham. 8th October, 1864.