Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 69. — Mr. Commissioner Searancke to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

page 91

No. 69.
Mr. Commissioner Searancke to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Mangari.Survey of Block completed.Whangarei, 14th December, 1864.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that I have completed the survey of the "Mangari" Block, offered for sale to the Government in January last by Hori Kingi.

I also beg to submit, for your consideration and approval, the payment to him and the other owners of this land the sum of £330, as a final and complete settlement of their claims on this block of land, which contains 2,800 acres; about two-thirds of which are poor, hilly, open, clay land; and one-third, on the banks of the Mangari and Waipiu Rivers, of good quality. The price asked is at the rate of 2s. 4d. an acre, a price. I consider low when the daily increasing competition from private purchasers is taken into consideration.

I also beg most respectfully to call to your attention that it is adjacent to Government land (the Ruatangata Block), to which the present block would give a defined river boundary, in place of the present undefined line across country.

I have, &c.,

William N. Searancke,
District Commissioner.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary,
Native Department, Auckland.