Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 10.]

No. 10.

Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Tokatoka.—Recommending purchase of this Block. Omanu, Wairoa River, Kaipara, 18th December, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to inform you that, adjoining to, and to the south of, Wakahara is situated Tokatoka, about which a dispute had arisen between Tirarau and Manukau, and which, for the peace of the district, demanded immediate adjustment, as well as being the position required by the Resident Magistrate and Sub-Collector of Customs at this port, with whom I have had a correspondence on the subject, a copy of which I beg to enclose for your information. Under these circumstances, I am induced to recommend your obtaining the sanction of His Excellency the Officer Administering the Government to the purchase of the Tokatoka Block, containing Four thousand acres (4,000 acres), for the sum of Three hundred pounds (£300); One hundred pounds (£100) of which has been already paid at Auckland, and the remaining Two hundred pounds (£200) can be paid to the Chief named in the margin,* who has been deputed to receive the money by the rest of the claimants, except Twenty pounds (£20) of the amount, which has been agreed to be given to Parore for his claims. This sum may be sent to him, to the care of H. Atkyns, Esq., Mangawhare, who, I have no doubt, will be kind enough to pay him the money, and see the Deed signed, as the old chief is too proud to receive it at the hands of another Native. Enclosed is a sketch of the proposed purchase, and the Deed detailing the boundaries, which was executed at the time of the payment of the first instalment of One hundred pounds, is lodged in your office at Auckland.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
District Land Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Principal Commissioner,
Auckland.

* Paraone Te Rangi, of Kaipara.

Enclosure 1.
F.D. Fenton, Esq., R.M., to Mr. Commissioner Johnson.

Kaipara, December 1st, 1854.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to call your attention to the urgent necessity which exists for the immediate completion of the purchase of the Tokatoka Block of land on this river. Apart from the urgent political reasons which exist for the immediate acquisition of this property by the British Government, the natural advantages of position, and the peculiar physical character of the Wairoa River; render this locality the only one available for the Government officers of this district. It is situated midway between the districts of country at present occupied by merchants and visited by ships, is equi-distant from, and will form a good neutral territory between the Ngapuhi and Ngatiwhatua tribes, recently at war, and possesses the only natural landing place for many miles in each direction. I fear that the price demanded by the Natives will be large, as they are well aware of the importance of the place, but I trust that no insurmountable difficulties will be found to the acquisition of this territory. Let me, however, remind you that the expense of making a landing place for the Custom-house will in all probability far exceed the difference in price between the Tokatoka Block and any other of similar extent, and I would urge you, if not incompatible with the instructions received by you from the Government, to complete the acquisition of this territory whenever you visit this river for the purpose of arranging Mr. O'Brien's claim.

I have, &c.,

Francis D. Fenton,
Resident Magistrate.

The District Commissioner, &c., &c.,
Whangarei.
page 98

Enclosure 2.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to F. D. Fenton, Esq., R.M.

Omanu, Kaipara, 18th December, 1854.

Sir,—

I have had the honor to receive your letter of the 1st instant, and having examined the localities in the river, I fully concur in the view you have taken of the importance of the acquisition of the Tokatoka Block, and having, as you are aware, with your assistance, happily been successful in reconciling the animosities of the contending tribes, I entered into an arrangement for the completion of the purchase of the block in question, so soon as the sanction of his Excellency the Officer Administering the Government is obtained for the payment of the final amount agreed upon between the Natives and myself of Two hundred pounds (£200).

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson, District Land Commissioner.

F.D. Fenton, Esq.,
Resident Magistrate,
Kaipara.