Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 14. — Mr. Commissioner Kemp (acting for the Chief Commissioner) to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 14.
Mr. Commissioner Kemp (acting for the Chief Commissioner) to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Tokatoka.Transmitting Deed of the Block.Land Purchase Department,
Auckland, 19th April, 1855.

Sir,—

I do myself the honor to enclose for His Excellency's information the original Deed with receipt endorsed thereon, together with translation, for a block of land on the Kaipara, known as the "Toka Toka," by which it will be seen that the final instalment of Two hundred pounds (£200) has been paid to the Natives, making in the whole the sum of Three hundred pounds (£300) for this block, estimated to contain about Four thousand (4,000) acres. It will be remembered as the site chosen for a Custom House, and is likely to become of value. The sum of Twenty pounds (£20) has been placed to the credit of Mr. Johnson, as the portion due to the Chief Parore, and will be either handed to that Chief by Mr. Johnson himself, or forwarded to the care of Hastings Atkyns, Esq., who has undertaken to see it delivered. In the meantime, I know of no objection to the block being surveyed and laid open for selection.

I have, &c.,

H. T. Kemp,
Native Secretary, Land Department.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary,
Auckland.