Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 18. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Rogan

No. 18.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Rogan.

Kaipara.To negotiate for Purchase of Land.Land Commissioner's Office,
Auckland, 31st January, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor to request that you will proceed to Kaipara at your earliest possible convenience, for the purpose of entering upon negotiations with the Natives of that District for the purchase of an extensive block of land which they are desirous of selling to the Government.

As it appears, from what information I have received on the subject, that the land in question is comparatively valueless as a whole, though containing some plains capable of being converted into agricultural and pastoral farms, I would impress upon you the necessity of obtaining the extinguishment of the Native title to it at as low a rate as possible, and on no account to exceed the rate of 8d. per acre.

You will be good enough to arrange for the purchase in one lump sum, one-half to be paid when the external survey has been made and the final negotiations completed; the remainder to be handed over to the Natives in two annual instalments.

From your long experience in land-purchasing operations it will be hardly necessary for me to remind you of the extreme care and accuracy that will be required in defining the boundaries of the block, for which purpose a surveyor has been instructed by the Waste Lands Commissioner to accompany you and cut the lines under your personal superintendence.

You will be good enough to take care that ample and eligible reserves are made for the use of the Natives, the selection, number, and extent of which must be determined by the wishes of the vendors themselves, and your own discretion.

Before completing the negotiations for the final alienation of the above-mentioned block by the Natives, or making arrangements for the acquisition of other and smaller portions of territory, I have to request that you will report to me fully the position and site and probable value in each instance for the information and approval of the Government.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

J. Rogan, Esq.,
&c, &c.