Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 22. — Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner

No. 22.
Mr. Commissioner Rogan to the Chief Commissioner.

Matakohe.—Enclosing Deed of Conveyance of Block.Auckland, 20th March, 1858.

Sir,—

I have the honor to enclose herewith a deed of conveyance from the chiefs of Te Uriohau tribe of a block of land called Matakohe, situated on the left bank of the Wairoa river, in the Kaipara district, containing by survey sixty-eight thousand (68,000) acres, for which the sum of Two thousand pounds was paid to those chiefs on the 2nd inst.

That part of the block which is bounded by the Wairpa, and extending towards the line of forest, comprises about fifteen thousand (15,000) acres, of marsh land, covered with raupo, toetoe, coarse grass, wiwi, and other vegetation which usually grows on low land.

There are several small creeks running from the forest through this marsh into the Wairoa river, the largest of which is called the Awaroa. These creeks would form good boundaries for small cattle runs, for which this portion of the block appears adapted.

There is a limited extent of fertile land, covered with fern, light bush, and scrub, at the head of Te Arapaoa, suitable for agricultural farms, and approachable by vessels of more than two hundred tons burthen from the Otamatea. The inferior portion of the block is covered with dense forest, principally kauri, with occasional patches of kahikatea and manuka. The land is very superior in quality, but very broken towards the inland boundary line, and is not likely to be occupied by settlers for many years to come.

A large tract of land, extending from the inland boundary of this block to the back boundary of the Mangawhai and Waipu blocks on the East coast, called Marutu, is now being surveyed, which, when purchased, the native title will be extinguished over the whole of that part of the district.

The description of boundaries is enclosed herewith; and I submit that the proclamation of this block may be deferred for a time, as the chiefs decided at a meeting, during their recent visit to Auckland, that the amount which they received for this land should be deposited in my charge, until I should be at liberty to visit Kaipara, when the money will be subdivided amongst the claimants.

I have &c.,

John Rogan,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean Esq.,
Chief Commissioner, Auckland.