Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 39. — Lieut-Colonel McDonnell, to the General Government Agent, Auckland

No. 39.
Lieut-Colonel McDonnell, to the General Government Agent, Auckland.

Kaipara.—Waoku Block.Auckland, 10th July, 1872.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report, for the information of the Government, that in accordance with in structions I received from Mr. Clarke, the Civil Commissioner, I proceeded from Auckland to the Waimate, and from thence to Otawa, to make enquiries respecting the block of land named Waoku, offered for sale to the Government by Hora Puatata, Wiremu Pore, and other Chiefs.

I arrived at Otawa on the 25th June, a settlement on the Taheke, a branch of the Hokianga River. I held a meeting with the Natives, and the following morning I left with five guides, who were to show me over the country. About two miles from the settlement we entered the bush, travelled all day in the rain, and camped at nightfall, wet, tired, and hungry. The weather was of the worst description, and had it not been that we were fortunate enough to meet with and kill a wild cow, the fat of which I made the Natives burn for a fire, as there was no wood near that we could get to kindle, I doubt if we could have moved the next day from cramp and the exposure, as we had neither blankets nor other covering, excepting what we stood in. We passed a miserable night. In the morning the Natives had decided to return. It would have been useless to proceed, if even I had been able, so we returned to the village, which we reached late on the evening of the following day. I again conversed with the Chiefs, and offered to go out again in a few days, when the weather moderated, and if they could procure food. This they declined doing, as they were busily engaged in fitting up a large house intended for the reception of other Natives, who were to take part in a "hahunga," or disinterment of bones. But they proposed that I should return in the summer months, when they would go over the block, and point out all the boundaries to me. From what I could see and judge of the country, I made the following remarks:—
  • 1st. It is all forest land, comprising kauri, totara, rimu, mata, and other useful timber.
  • 2nd. The nature of the country is rough and mountainous in some places, and undulating in others.
  • 3rd. The soil is of excellent quality, being a rich chocolate-coloured loam, that would grow any farm produce.
  • 4th. As to the position and probable extent, the land is on the Mangakahia stream, which runs into the Wairoa River. I should judge the eastern boundary to be four or five miles to the westward of Maunganui (the mountains on the Coast). The Southern boundary commences about seven miles in a straight line from Otawa, running inland over the wooded range. The acreage is, as far as I could judge, about 35,000 acres.
  • 5th. I am inclined to think there will be little or no dispute as to ownership, unless old Parore makes a claim. I spoke to the chief Mohi Tawhai, and with the Native member for the North Wireinu Katene, as to the ownership, and these chiefs seemed to think that those who have offered the land for sale have a good claim.page 111
  • 6th. As I have not been over the land, I can say nothing for certain as to the best line of road, or the most convenient seaport or outlet, as it is forest country, surrounded by forest on all sides. Before a reliable opinion can be given, it must be thoroughly explored in fine weather.
  • 7th. Its fitness for immigration purposes. This will, in a great measure, depend on the approaches that can be got to it, but I think a road could be made from Otawa and the Taheke. From the latter place, water carriage is to be had to Hokianga. A road might also be had to it from the Bay. I expect the natural outlet from it will be by the Wairoa. Should my surmises prove correct, the country might be suitable for Canadians or Nova Scotians, but not for immigrants fresh from the home country.

The lowest price mentioned by the Natives was 5s. an acre, but this was a mere matter of form. The utmost value I place upon it, and that only if available roads can be made to it, is at the outside 2s. an acre.

I believe coal exists, as the Natives showed me some, said to have been found on the land, a specimen of which I enclose.

I have, &c.,

Thomas McDonnell.

The General Government Agent, Auckland.