Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 43. — Lieut.-Colonel Mcdonnell to the General Government Agent, Auckland

No. 43.
Lieut.-Colonel Mcdonnell to the General Government Agent, Auckland.

Kaipara.—Pakiri Purchase.Auckland, 26th February, 1873.

Sir,—

I have the honor to report my return from Helensville, and to state for the information of the Government that Hori te More has signed an agreement consenting to dispose of all the interests that he is and will be entitled to in the Pakiri Block of 32,000 acres,—that is, 10,666½ acres, or one third of the whole block—to the Government for the sum of £1,000, after deducting the sum of £270 owing to Mr. John McLeod, M.H.R., including law expenses and costs amounting to £21 13s., also a sum of £55 owing by Hori te More to Mr. John Sheehan, M.H.R., and a sum of £10 advanced to Adam Clarke by me on behalf of the Government, amounting altogether to £343 7s., leaving £643 7s. to be paid to Hori te More on completion of title, but any expense connected with surveys are to be defrayed by the Government.

The application that was heard at the Court now sitting was to have the land divided so that each claimant could deal separately with his or her interest, but as it is necessary that Hori te More should have power to deal with the land on application for succession of title has been sent in to the Native Land Court signed by Hori te More, to be heard at the next sittings of the Court.

It has also been agreed to by Adam Clarke and Mr. John Sheehan, who are trustees for Wi Apo in the Pakiri land, that on their being authorized by law to negotiate his interest that they will accept the sum of £1,000 on his behalf, and I have advanced to Adam Clarke £10 on this understanding.

Mr. Sheehan assures me that there will be no difficulty in obtaining the necessary legal authority for the fulfilment of the agreement that has been signed, and which I have the honor to attach to this report.

With regard to the Marunui Block of 2,160 acres, Adam Clarke has agreed to take 2s. 6d. an acre for the block, and I have given him an advance of £20 on account, which leaves a balance of £250 that is to received when he comes to Auckland and signs the deed of conveyance.

Respecting the 500 acres of land claimed by Adam Clarke, but which has been sold to Mr. Thomas Henry of Whangarei, Adam Clarke says that he simply wishes to be repaid what the Government sold the land for, namely—10s. an acre.

I have, &c.,

Thomas McDonnell,
Land Purchase Commissioner.

The Hon. Dr. Pollen,
General Government Agent.