Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 5. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 5.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Reporting Offer of the Ahuroa and Kourawhero Blocks.Mahurangi, 10th June, 1854.

Sir,—

I have the honor to forward to you, for the consideration of His Excellency the Officer Administering the Government, the offer of the Natives named in the margin* (whom I believe to be the sole owners), to sell the district named the Kaipara Flats, and estimated to contain about Thirty two thousand acres, for the sum of Twelve hundred pounds (£1,200); Nine hundred pounds (£900) of which to be paid to them on execution of the deed of conveyance, and the remaining Three hundred pounds (£300) on the 1st day of January, 1855.

Portions of this block have been much sought after by intending settlers; and independently of its intrinsic value, there exist several cogent reasons for concluding this purchase.

Ahuroa.—Hori Kingi, Piri Paraone, Te Hemara, Haupapa, Tohetai, Kawherahi, Toehau, Hiria, Heni, Hemara Tamaiti, Herewini, Makare.

page 95

The original Mahurangi sale was made in the 1841, by the Ngatipaoa and Ngapuhi, whom the right of conquest placed in possession of the land, and the descendants of the Kawerau and Ngaitahu, who are the roots of the soil, were not directly treated with at all, and were at that time too obscure, and persecuted by their more powerful neighbours, to urge their own cause. Subsequently, however they united and located on their land which had been sold to the Queen, Hemara taking possession of a part of Mahurangi, and Parihoro, in a similar way, a portion of Matakana. Notwithstanding that ample reserves, and also a small money payment, have been lately granted to satisfy these men, they still waited the opportunity of obtaining some further payment for the lands of their tribe.

The back boundary of the Mahurangi having been overstepped by the Europeans, and several selections and surveys under the new Land Regulations having been made, infringing on land claimed by these Natives, has at length afforded them the opportunity they sought for; and had I not brought about the offer which is the subject of this letter, considerable embarrassment might have arisen to the purchasers of land from the Crown, and I am of opinion that if these arrangements be carried out, which I beg leave to request to urge upon the favorable notice of His Excellency, that the remainder of the Native land in this district will be purchased at a less rate, and that all ill-feeling with the Natives resulting from the former purchase will be forgotten.

I have not yet had time to make a sketch survey of this block, but I am well acquainted with the locality; and with a view of illustrating what I have said, I enclose for your guidance a small map of the Mahurangi and Kaipara districts, shewing the portion already the property of the Crown, and that offered for sale, by which you will perceive that a portion of the Native land lies between the two proposed purchases. And I would suggest that a right of road through it be stipulated for, so that the track of the Northern road may be unobstructed as far as the Northern end of the Mahurangi.

The Natives are anxious that the instalment also of Nine hundred pounds (£900) should be paid at this place; and as it is my intention to make another excursion for the purpose of making a running survey of this block also, on the usual scale of one mile to an inch, no time will be lost in my performing that duty.

I received word that all is quiet on the Wairoa. Taramoeroa is still at Hokianga, and Tirarau is perfectly satisfied about the arrangements relative to the land at Whangarei, and has told me that I need not hurry on his account.

I have, &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
Sub-Commissioner for the Purchase of Native Land.

Donald McLean, Esq,, J.P.,
Commissioner for the Purchase of Native Land.

* Note.—Kourawhero.—Te Kiwi, Te Urunga, Te More, Kawea, Te Koru, Rahui, Panapa, Te Rawhiti, Poihipi Mekekati, Ramari, Te Poari Totara, Hori Kingi, Parihoro, Arama Karaka, Hone Waiti, Wiremu Apo, Te Roa, Parahi.