Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to His Honor the Superintendent

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to His Honor the Superintendent.

Auckland, 15th April, 1876.

Sir,—

I have received your letter of date 9th March ultimo, covering copy of a letter from Mr. Joseph a Tole, calling attention, on behalf of the Native Parore, to what your Honor is pleased to describe as the "improper sale" of the Waipoua and Maunganui Blocks, in Wairoa, Kaipara District.

I enclose, for your Honor's information, copy of a memorandum by Mr. H. T. Kemp, explanatory of the circumstance attending the sale of the blocks in question, which was concluded during a sitting of the Native Lands Court, and recorded as required by law.

page 116

Your Honor will see that the Native on whose behalf you intervene has no cause to complain, and mates no complaint regarding the actual sale of the land, but has grounds to complain of the action of Messrs. Brissenden and Nelson, the Land Purchase Agents, who declined in the first instance to recognize his title, and who exclusively favoured that of Tiopira.

I call your Honor's attention to the circumstance that Paul Tuhaere denies the assertion made by Mr. Joseph A. Tole, that he (Paul) had furnished the "facts" upon which Mr. Tole's statement is based.

I have, &c.,

Daniel Pollen.

His Honor the Superintendent, Auckland.