Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 8. — Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner

No. 8.
Mr. Commissioner Johnson to the Chief Commissioner.

Kourawhero.Has Purchased the Kaipara Flats for £900.Mahurangi, 22nd June, 1854.

Sir,—

I had the honor to receive your letter of the 19th instant, transmitting the necessary authority for the purchase of the Kaipara Flats, and advising the transmission of the sum of Nine hundred pounds (£900) which I required for that object.

The amount I have paid this day to the claimants here assembled, and beg to forward herewith the Deed of Conveyance from the Natives to the Crown. The Ahuroa, Kourawhero, and Kaipara Flats being all contiguous, I have included the whole in one transaction and in one Deed.

In carrying through these negotiations, I have endeavoured strenuously to extend the payments over a time, and to induce the Natives to re-purchase from the Crown any land they may wish to retain in the blocks for themselves; both measures being, I conceive, when acted upon judiciously, a great improvement on the system of purchasing land from the Natives which has been hitherto adopted. Both these measures are, however, strongly opposed by the Natives in this District, because they are new to them.

You are already aware of the extent to which the term of payment has been carried; and on reference to the Deed you will perceive a promise that the Native Chief Te Kiri Kaiparaoa stipulates for the right of purchase of Forty acres (40 acres) in this block at Ten shillings (10s.) per acre under the new Regulations; and he has further authorized me to deduct the amount required out of the instalment payable in January, 1855.

This, I am aware, is irregular; but, as the principle sought to be carried out is a very important one to be introduced in this District, where the sellers of land are so fond of making reserves, which are very inconvenient to the settlers, when they can do so without paying for them, I beg to request you to obtain an advance of the sum required to purchase the said Forty acres out of moneys in the hands of the Government applicable to Native purposes, and have this arrangement completed, which the parties concerned are favourably inclined to by this new project, for which purpose a similar opportunity might not readily again present itself.

I have &c.,

John Grant Johnson,
District Commissioner.

Donald McLean, Esq.,
Land Commissioner,
&c., &c.