Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to the Chief Protector

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to the Chief Protector.

Auckland.—Purchase of Mahurangi from Thames Natives sanctioned by the Governor.Colonial Secretary's Office,
Auckland, 14th April, 1841.

Sir,—

With reference to your letter of the 12th inst., submitting a proposal from the united tribes of the Thames to sell a tract of country in the vicinity of the Waitemata known as "Mahurangi," to the Crown, I do myself the honor, by the direction of the Lieut.-Governor, to convey to you his Excellency's sanction to the purchase being completed at the price mentioned in your communication.

An order has been accordingly transmitted to the Colonial Storekeeper to provide the barter, as specified below; and the Colonial Treasurer has been apprised that the sum of Two hundred pounds (£200) in specie will be required to meet the payment, warrant for which will be prepared as early as possible.

I have, &c.,

Willoughby Shortland.

The Protector of Aborigines, &c., &c., Auckland.