Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosure 2 in No. 3. — Memorandum by Geo. Clarke, Esq., Protector of Aborigines

Enclosure 2 in No. 3.
Memorandum by Geo. Clarke, Esq., Protector of Aborigines.

Purchase of Lands in Auckland District.

Following the instructions of His Excellency the Lieut.-Governor, I embarked, on the 10th October, in H.M.S. "Britomart," and arrived at Waitemata on the 12th, when I immediately proceeded to take steps for the purchase of the land on which the Crown establishment is about being formed. Owing, however, to the absence of one of the parties who had claims, and who had left for Manukau, I was thus unable to accomplish that object.

In the different enquiries which I have instituted among the Natives—a sketch of which I proceed to give—His Excellency will at once perceive the perplexing difficulties presenting themselves on every side, if not preventing, yet retarding the full accomplishment of his wishes in purchasing the extent of country it might be desirable to have in the District of Waitemata and the Thames. The principal purchases made about the Government establishment, some before and some after the proclamation, are: on the south side, by Mr. Clayton, about two years ago, and a portion of land by Mr. Denzel, about the time of the proclamation, the disputed land of Captain Symonds, together with a considerable tract of country claimed by Messrs. Fairburn, Taylor, and Hamlin. These purchases (reserving a small portion for the Natives at their especial request) would, if admitted in their full extent, leave a very inadequate portion for the Crown. The claimants to the north side of Waitemata are: at North Head, Mr. Taylor, and a large portion of the upper part of the river, on the north side, is claimed by a Mr. Webster. This purchase appears to have been made since the proclamation; it is said however, to have only then been completed. A large part of the country on the western side of Waitemata was bought by Mr. White of Hokianga, an earnest only having been given. He has, I hear, since then relinquished his claims to that part of the country. On the 20th the Chiefs Te Kawau, Tinana, and others, met at the house of Captain Symonds, where, to the satisfaction of all parties, we finally adjusted the considerations for the land, the deed of conveyance being read to the chiefs in the presence of His Excellency the Governor, the officers of the "Favorite," and of several of the Civil Department; the chiefs at the same time promising to sell a. still larger tract of country when the. Governor should finally reside among them. I have lost no favorable opportunity of getting the outlines of the country proposed as an addition to that already paid for, which I am happy to say is so far adjusted as to fully warrant the survey commencing immediately. I have not been able to make purchases to the extent desired in His Excellency's instructions, but am in treaty for a considerable extent of land beyond that already purchased.

G. Clarke,

Protector of Aborigines.

4th November, 1840.