Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 10. — The Chief Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 10.
The Chief Protector to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Transmitting Deed of Land, Sold by Ngatiteata. Protector's Office,
Auckland, December 9, 1843.

Sir,—

I have the honor to forward the enclosed deed with a translation, being a conveyance by Kaihau and others of the Ngatiteata tribe of a certain block of land therein described, situate between Manukau and Waikato, to Her Majesty's Government.

This purchase has been completed according to the terms authorized in your letter of August 29th, 1842. The land in question appears to have belonged to several tribes. I consider the titles of two of the principal of these claimants, viz., the Ngatiteata and the Ngotiamaoho, to be extinguished by the accompanying deed, but I. question whether that of the Ngatipo is so; as however the consideration given is considerably within the ratio that has been estimated as the cost of land per acre, there will be ample funds in the hands of the Government to meet any other equitable demands that may be made.

page 280

There have been several reserves pointed out and guaranteed to the Natives, which it will be necessary to have defined, and it should be clearly understood that all Native cultivations are excluded.

I have, &c.,

George Clarke,
Chief Protector.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.