Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 24. — The Chief Commissioner to the Native Secretary, Auckland

No. 24.
The Chief Commissioner to the Native Secretary, Auckland.

Waiuku.—Approval of preliminary steps taken. Land Commissioner's Office,
Wellington, 5th February, 1855.

Sir,—

In reference to your letter to the Colonial Secretary of the 14th November last, reporting that you had paid the Natives the sum of £1,500 for the Waiuku Block, I have the honor to acquaint you that I entirely concur in the course which has been adopted by you as detailed in the above mentioned letter.

With regard to Epiha's claim for £50 on account of this land, it appears to me that, under the circumstances, and seeing that the sum had been previously promised by the Surveyor-General, the payment by you was perfectly right. At the same time, his father Wetere having taken part in the whole proceedings and received his full share of the purchase money, this claim of Epiha's has, in my opinion, no just foundation; and considering Mr. John White's intimate acquaintance with the Ngatitamahoho party, it is to be regretted that he did not interfere to prevent what I cannot help looking upon as an imposition on the part of Epiha.

page 287

If Mr. Ormsby is unable to conduct the survey of the Waiuku Block with sufficient rapidity to ensure its speedy preparation for settlement, the services of Major Russell should he made available to hasten its completion.

So soon as Mr. White and the surveyor can certify to you that the exterior boundaries and native reserves have been accurately surveyed, and that a plan is prepared to accompany your report, I would suggest that no time should be lost in having the land in question, in as far as this Department is concerned, thrown open for immediate occupation by the settlers.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

H. T. Kemp, Esq., Native Secretary,
Auckland.