Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 28. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Searancke

page 289

No. 28.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Commissioner Searancke.

Waiuku.—Blocks to be Surveyed. Land Commissioner's Office, Auckland, 7th February, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor to request that you will proceed at your earliest convenience to Waiuku and place yourself in communication with the Native Chiefs, Katipa and Ahipene, relative to the survey of certain blocks of land in the Manukau district, i.e., Kawakawa, Kai o te manu, Kaihau, Tukiororangi, Kaihau, Opoia, Matakairau, and Taitomo, on which instalments have already been paid by the Government, the extent and eligibility of which it is now necessary to define, in order that the several purchases may be completed.

From your own experience in the performance of the duties now assigned to you, it will not be necessary for me to issue detailed instructions. It will, however, be of primary importance that the boundaries should be clearly and unmistakeably defined; and the reserves, where they occur, should be carefully laid off in the presence of the Natives concerned in the sale, so that any future difficulties or disputes connected therewith may be prevented, and the final cession of the land amicably obtained.

The Chiefs Arama Karaka and Wetere have a claim to some portion of these blocks, and may express a wish to accompany you in the preambulation of the boundaries. But inasmuch as Te Katipa has hitherto been the principal party concerned in the preliminary negotiations you will be good enough to consider him as the individual representing the vendors, and secure either his own attendance and co-operation or that of any of his tribe he may depute to accompany you.

Should you be able, in any of the blocks referred to, to select an eligible reserve of 500 acres, which may at some future time be conveyed to Te Katipa by a grant from the Crown, I must request you to mark it off with other reserves selected by the Natives or stipulated for by the conditions of the Deed of Sale, taking care however to refer the same to me, for the information of the Government, and not by any means intimating to that Chief, the purpose for which it is intended.

The enclosed copies of Deeds and Receipts, which you will be good enough to return when no longer required, will put you in possession of all necessary information relative to the boundaries, conditions, and reserves in each several purchase.

The arrangements as to the further cash payments that it may be necessary to make to the Natives for those blocks cannot, of course, be decided upon until the surveys are completed, when the Government will be in a better position to decide upon the amount to be paid to the vendors for the final surrender of their claims.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

W. N. Searancke, Esq.,
Government Surveyor.