Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

The Assistant Native Secretary (acting for the Chief Commissioner) to Mr. Commissioner Johnson

The Assistant Native Secretary (acting for the Chief Commissioner) to Mr. Commissioner Johnson.

Pukekohe—To Report on claims of Ihaka and Mohi. Land Commissioner's Office, Auckland, August 1st, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor, by direction of His Excellency, to transmit copy of a letter addressed to him by the Chief Mohi upon the subject of the Pukekohe reserve.

Not finding in this office any report of your proceedings taken upon the Instructions addressed to you on the subject by the Chief Commissioner, and dated February 3rd, 1857, I have been unable to reply to a statement made by the Chief Mohi, to the effect that when the Pukekohe reserve was marked off by the surveyor who accompanied you for that purpose in February last, neither he nor any of the other Natives concerned were present, and that they do not accept the boundaries as there cut. His Excellency has therefore directed me to request that you will report fully upon this subject.

I have, &c.,

Thos. H. Smith,
For the Chief Commissioner.

J. G. Johnson, Esq.,
District Commissioner, Whangarei.