Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 30.]

No. 30.

The Assistant Native Secretary (acting for the Chief Commissioner) to Mr. Commissioner Johnson.

Pukekohe—To Report on claims of Ihaka and Mohi. Land Commissioner's Office, Auckland, August 1st, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor, by direction of His Excellency, to transmit copy of a letter addressed to him by the Chief Mohi upon the subject of the Pukekohe reserve.

Not finding in this office any report of your proceedings taken upon the Instructions addressed to you on the subject by the Chief Commissioner, and dated February 3rd, 1857, I have been unable to reply to a statement made by the Chief Mohi, to the effect that when the Pukekohe reserve was marked off by the surveyor who accompanied you for that purpose in February last, neither he nor any of the other Natives concerned were present, and that they do not accept the boundaries as there cut. His Excellency has therefore directed me to request that you will report fully upon this subject.

I have, &c.,

Thos. H. Smith,
For the Chief Commissioner.

J. G. Johnson, Esq.,
District Commissioner, Whangarei.

Enclosure 1.

[i roto i te reo Māori]

Chief Mohi to the Governor.

Hurae, 17 o nga ra, 1857.

E Hoe e Te Kawana,—

Tena koe. E mea ana matou ki nga Pakeha e noho ana ki runga ki to matou whenua ki Pukekohe, mau te tihanga kia neke atu nga Pakeha ki to te Kuini wahi. Ko matou e haere ana ki te mahi i taua wahi; ko te toru tenei o nga pukapuka ki a koutou. Heoi ano.

Na Mohi.

Ki a Te Kawana,
Kei Akarana.

[ko te tohutoro i roto i te reo Māori]

page 291

Translation.

July 17th, 1857.

Friend the Governor,,—

Salutations to you. What we have to say concerns the Europeans who are residing on Pukekohe; it will be for you to cause those Europeans to move on to the Queen's part. It is our intention to go and work that place. This is the third letter we have sent to you.

From Mohi.

To His Excellency the Governor.

Enclosure 2.

[i roto i te reo Māori]

Chief Mohi and Ihaka to the Governor.

Hurae 28 1857.

E Hoa e Te Kawana,—

Tena koe. Tenei ano ta matou kupu ki a koe, kia rongo mai koe. E mea ana matou ki nga Pakeha e noho ana ki runga i to matou whenua i Pukekohe; e mea ana matou mau te kupu ki nga Pakeha kia whakahokia ki runga ki to te Kuini wahi whenua, no te mea he kainga pumau tenei mo matou, mo a matou tamariki ta te mea ko to matou kainga pumau tenei mo a matou tamariki ake, ake, ake. Heoi ano.

Na matou katoa ki a koe.

Na Mohi,
Na Ihaka.

Ki a Te Kawana,
Kei Akarana.

[ko te tohutoro i roto i te reo Māori]

Translation.

July 28, 1857.

Friend the Governor,,—

Salutations to you. This is our word to you. Do you listen with respect to those Europeans who are residing on our land at Pukekohe. We think that you should send word to those Europeans to return on to the part belonging to the Queen, because we wish to retain the land in question as a permanent place for our children for ever. This is all.

From the whole of us.

From Mohi and Ihaka.

To His Excellency Governor Browne.