Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 33. — The Chief Commissioner to W. N. Searancke, Esq., District Surveyor

No. 33.
The Chief Commissioner to W. N. Searancke, Esq., District Surveyor.

Waiuku.—To settle for Blocks already Surveyed. Chief Land Commissioner's Office, Auckland, September, 1857.

Sir,—

I have the honor to request that you will proceed to Waiuku with as little delay as possible to settle with the natives for the several blocks of land which you have been surveying in that district, and on which instalments to the extent of Six hundred and eighty-five (£685) pounds have been paid by Government.

The several blocks for which you are in treaty may be computed altogether at Seventeen thousand five hundred acres, and it is desirable that you should finally complete the purchase of these, or of any others adjacent to them, at a price not to exceed, if possible, Two shillings per acre. The sum of One thousand pounds is placed at your disposal for the purchase of the surveyed portions.

From your knowledge of the locality and of the native owners of the land, I need not furnish you with more detailed instructions as to the best mode of settling this question, which has, moreover, been fully discussed with you verbally at various times.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

W. N. Searancke, Esq., District Surveyor.