Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 99.]

No. 99.

H. Hanson Turton, Esq., to the Secretary for Crown Lands.

Whaingaroa.—Error in Boundary of Puketutu Reserve. Auckland, 11th January 1866.

Sir,—

In reference to the plan of the Puketutu Reserve at Waitetuna, near Raglan, I beg to draw your attention to the accompanying sketch of Mr. Todd, the District Surveyor, as being the correct one according to the deed of sale, and so to be inserted in the Crown grant for which I applied. Mr. Breen, the surveyor, was misled by the Raglan Natives as to the starting-point of his straight boundary from Waitetuna to Ngatokorua-a-te-ra-Whatiora, on the Waipa; and so included 486 acres more land than what was included in my original purchase.

I have, &c.,

H. Hanson Turton.

The Secretary for Grown Lands, Wellington.

Memorandum by James Mackay, Esq., Civil Commissioner.

The accompanying tracing shows an error in the boundary of the Kaniwhaniwha block of land purchased by Mr. Turton on behalf of the Government from W. Nero and the Raglan Natives. It appears that about 486 acres have been taken from W. Barton and the Ngatitemainu Tribe. I believe the boundary is not quite correct yet. I now propose that a Crown grant should be given to W. Barton and his people for any land which may have been wrongfully taken from them by the error in the cutting of the line. On receipt of instructions in this matter I will proceed to complete the question.

James Mackay, Jun.

29th March, 1866.

Mr. Surveyor Frissell to Mr. James Mackay.

Waitetuna, 7th December,-1865.

Sir,—

I beg to inform you that, by direction of Mr. Todd, District Surveyor, I measured the distance from the Parawai Creek on the Waitetuna (the one from which the northern boundary-line of the Karamu Block was run by Mr. Breen) to the Maunurima Creek, which latter is the creek mentioned in the deed thus: "Ka timata hei te hau raro i te awa a Maunurima e rere ana ki roto ki Waitetuna, a haere whakamarangai i reira tae noa ki Nga-tokorua-a-te-ra-Whatiora i te taha o Waipa, &c.; and find the distance to be, 1,507 links, and the included angle to 77° 33′, as per the accompanying, sketch. The field-books and plans having gone into the Survey Office, I know not the length of the northern boundary-line so as to calculate the area, but assuming it at eight miles gives an area of 471 acres, which, paid for at the same rate, as the rest of the block, would amount to about £4 1s.

I have, &c.,

E. Frissell,
Government Surveyor.

James Mackay, Esq., Civil Commissioner, Raglan.
page 53

The Special Commissioner to Mr. Mackay, Civil Commissioner.

Parnell, 11th January, 1866.

Sir,

I beg to return the sketch which Mr. Randal has inserted on the large office copy, giving the surplus area at 486 acres, the boundary being longer than eight miles. He would like to be supplied with a true copy both of sketch and note. I have sent a copy with explanations to the Secretary of Crown Lands, so as to prevent the incorrect survey being inserted on the Crown grant. And if you recommend another Crown grant for the overplus in favour of Wi Patene in trust for Ngatitemama Tribe, or of his own family, as you suggested, it might be done at present time, and thus clear another difficulty from the path.

I have, &c.,

H. H Turton.

Mr. Mackay, Civil Commissioner, Auckland.