Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 101. — H. Hanson Turton, Esq., Special Commissioner, to the Hon. the Native Minister

No. 101.
H. Hanson Turton, Esq., Special Commissioner, to the Hon. the Native Minister.

Waiuku.—Grants for Wahi-tapus should not issue except on certain Conditions. Auckland, 22nd January, 1866.

Sir,

I have to beg that you will send up immediate instructions to our Registrar of Deeds not to issue any of the grants for the wahi-tapus and burying-grounds at Waiuku, except on receiving a certificate from the Resident Magistrate or Native Interpreter to the effect that all the dead have been exhumed and removed from off the section granted.

On the 3rd July I made an arrangement with the Ngatiteata to collect their dead from the seven teen different cemeteries scattered over the block into three burying-grounds only, which were mentioned. In return for these I would recommend the Government to issue direct grants, and allow them to sell the rest. But now they are applying for the grants before the bodies are removed, and so will bring much trouble both on the Government and the European purchasers.

I have, &c.,

H. Hanson Turton, Commissioner.

The Hon. the Native Minister, Wellington.