Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Return of Reserves made for Friendly Natives and Returned Rebels. — (No. 1.)

Return of Reserves made for Friendly Natives and Returned Rebels.

(No. 1.)

Memorandum on Bay of Plenty Lands, for the Information of the Agent for the General Government; Auckland. Civil Commissioner's Office, Auckland, 9th June, 1857.
Acres.
1. Probable error in not establishing confiscated boundary by trigonometrical observation 5,000
2. Given to the Arawa Tribe 87,000
3. Act not enforced* in eastern portion of the district, over 57,000
4. Given back to rebels 96,000
5. Unarranged 38,000.
6. Given to claimants by award by arrangement, and abandoned 5,442
7. Balance to Government 151,558
     Total confiscated 440,000

Item 3.—In reference to Item 3, Colonel Haultain and Mr. Whitaker instructed me to leave the portion of the block east of Opape to the Natives.

Item 4.—In Item 4 the giving-back is but nominal, for the Natives would not have given it up. But I was required to make the best arrangement I could effect, and now the surveys are advanced I find that about 58,000 acres were thus obtained. Also some of Item 5 will yet be available, but not required, for purposes of compensation.

Items 4 and 5.—In Items 4 and 5 there are about 18,000 acres of agricultural land. There are 54,000 acres of swamp, and 62,000 acres of mountainous country, say half of it very barren.

Item 7.—From Item 7 land has been provided for all the military settlers. There are yet, however, 75,000 acres of saleable land, which, exclusive of township sites, I estimate at the value of £31,750.

The amount of cash paid in compensation for land is £200; to be paid to Fulloon, £150: total, £350. Scrip: Nil.

J. A. Wilson,
Crown Agent.

* Technically "abandoned."