Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Mr. G. B. Worgan to the Hon. D. McLean

Mr. G. B. Worgan to the Hon. D. McLean.

West Coast Reserves. Survey Office, Patea, 12th February, 1872.

Sir,—

I have the honour to enclose a tracing of sketch of the block lying between Whenuakura and Patea Rivers, showing the position of the lands given to Major Turner and Mrs. Hewitt, 400 acres each; the position of the lower boundary of the University reserve of 10,000 acres, the railway reserve, &c. The Patea River has not been traversed more than four miles from the mouth inland, and the Whenuakura about five miles. Of the block shown as Native award (portion included in railway reserve marked 1) to Eruete te Pewa and others, 800 acres have been arranged for by negotiations for purchase: the remaining 112 acres, belonging to Haimona Hiroti, Mete Kingi, Ramia Poari, Pango, Wikitoria, Ramia Roe, and Riheta Paihi, have been partly offered for sale, but may stand over for the present. Deducting, therefore, these 112 acres, and other reserves, there remains an area which may be estimated at 8,000 acres, the survey of which for sale I will proceed with at once, in conjunction with other work in hand. I shall hope to have a plan ready for Gazette notice within, say, four months, provided it be cut up into blocks not less than 100 acres in extent.

I have, &c.,

George B. Worgan..