Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 22. — His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief to Chief Te Wherowhero

page 15

No. 22.
His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief to Chief Te Wherowhero.

Waipa.Site for Native School required at Otawhao. 27th July, 1849.

Friend Te Wherowhero,—

Salutations I have seen Mr. Morgan; he has expressed a wish to me that you should give up to him a piece of land at the back of the Mission-station at Otawhao, as a site and a residence for the new school for the education of the Maori youth.

Boundaries.

These are the boundaries of the place: The tapued piece of land lying to the southward of Mr. Morgan's house, bounded on the North by, the land already in his possession; going down from thence to the bridge over the Mangakoi, where the river then becomes the boundary; running alone the bank in a southerly direction until it reaches the swamp, when it turns and goes along the edge of the swamp, passing outside the old houses of your children, Warena and Kopua, and extending a little further, when the boundary turns to the westward, leaving inside of it the deserted houses of Te Katea, where it again joins Mr. Morgan's land. That is the extent of it.

Now, my friend, with you rests the consent for the alienation of these places. It is not as if it were a farm for the Europeans that you are asked to give, but it is a site for a school for teaching your children, that they may grow up as educated people. Therefore I say to you, Let your answer to this request be liberal. The decision rests with you. You are the man who holds the authority over that place. You told me that that tribe was yours.

From me, from your friend,

G. Grey,
Governor-in-Chief.