Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Mr. Commissioner G. S. Cooper to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

Mr. Commissioner G. S. Cooper to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

31st March, 1857.

Sir,—

In obedience to the instruction contained in your letter of the 16th of October last, I have the honour to report to you, for the information of His Excellency's Government, that I have ascertained the assent of the aboriginal inhabitants to a grant under the 16th section of "The New Zealand Native Reserves Act, 1856," of certain lands in this district set apart by them as an endowment for an industrial school.

I hereby transmit deeds of gift of two blocks of lands, containing respectively 1,745 acres and 1,408 acres, more or less, situated in the neighbourhood of Te Aute, and which are more particularly described in the deeds by plans and written descriptions of boundaries, and which land the aboriginal owners have surrendered to Her Majesty, her heirs and successors, on condition of their being granted to the Bishop of New Zealand and his successor for the purpose above named. I have also the honour to acquaint you that, when in Auckland in December last, I deposited in the Chief Commissioner's Office a copy of the plan of the land set apart by the late Governor, Sir George Grey, for the like object.

I have,&c.,

G. S. Cooper,
District Native Land Commissioner,
Hawke's Bay District.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary, &c, Auckland.