Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 5. — Mr. Protector Halswell, Wellington, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary

No. 5.
Mr. Protector Halswell, Wellington, to the Hon. the Colonial Secretary.

Selection of Native Reserves. Wellington, 11th April, 1842.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform you that I attended at the office of the Company's surveyor on the 7th instant, the day appointed for the selection of lands recently surveyed in the Districts of Manawatu, Horowhenua, and in this neighbourhood, and, with the information derived from a personal inspection of the country and from other sources, I was enabled to select for the Natives, according to the order of choice, a portion of the reserves which remained unchosen of the preliminary country sections.

The lands chosen are 300 acres on the Porirua, 200 in the Ohariu valley (a good country in the neighbourhood of Port Nicholson to the eastward), 300 acres on the Manawatu River, and 3,400 acres on the Horowhenua. I have still 3,100 acres to choose for the Natives in the preliminary sections.

In making these selections for the Natives I have carefully attended, as far as possible, to their own wishes, collected from some Natives inhabiting the different districts, and from others who have visited me in this place. My attention has been particularly directed to their own clearings, and I have secured for them as much water-frontage as possible, and more than they can all probability ever occupy.

It was their particular wish to live on the land in the neighbourhood of Horowhenua, a considerable lake lying between the Manawatu and Otaki Rivers, some twelve miles inland. I have accordingly obtained so much of the country round this water as has been already surveyed. It is a remarkably fine tract of land, heavily timbered in places, much of it cleared by the Natives, and containing several pas. Such portions as would not be required by the Natives could be very advantageously let to Europeans. I am preparing maps of the country, which will be transmitted to His Excellency by the very first opportunity.

Generally speaking, the Natives in all directions, and the settlers, are upon good terms. Nevertheless there are continually trifling misunderstandings between them, but which, by prompt attention, have been always adjusted with satisfaction to both parties.

The wants of the Natives, real and imaginary, are numerous, and their applications to me incessant: some of these are met, and some I resist. I have, however, the satisfaction to know that I have gained their confidence, which has always been the first object of my ambition here.

I have, &c.,

Edmund Halswell,
Protector of Aborigines, Southern District.

The Hon. the Colonial Secretary.