Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 62.]

No. 62.

[Extract from New Zealand Gazette.]

page 33
Church of England Reserve at Papakura, near Auckland. Office of Minister for Native Affairs, Auckland, 1st June, 1859.

The following report by Thomas Henry Smith, Esq., one of the Commissioners of Native Reserves for the Province of Auckland, is published for general information.

C. W. Richmond.

"The New Zealand Native Reserves Act, 1856."

I, Thomas Henry Smith, a person duly appointed in that behalf under the provisions of "The Native Reserves Act, 1856," do hereby report that I have ascertained the assent of the aboriginal inhabitants and proprietors of a certain piece or parcel of land described in the schedule hereunder written, and in a deed of cession of the same to Her Majesty the Queen, bearing date the 26th day of April, 1859, to the grant by His Excellency the Governor of New Zealand of the aforesaid piece or parcel of land to the Bishop of the Church of England in New Zealand and his successors, pursuant to the provisions of the said Act, in trust for the site of a church and burial-place and for the endowment of a school in connection with the Church of England.

Witness my hand this 20th day of May, 1859.

Thos. H. Smith.

Schedule above referred to.

All that piece of land situate at Papakura, bounded on the North-west by Allotment No. 4 of the Parish of Opahake, 534 links, bearing 246° by compass; on the North-east by Native land, 1,000 links, bearing 315° by compass; on the South-west by Native land, 534 links, bearing 66° by compass; and on the South-east by the Great South Road, 1,000 links, bearing 135° by compass.

Report adopted this 31st day of May, 1859, with the advice and consent of the Executive Council of the colony.

T. Gore Browne,
Governor.

F. G. Steward, Clerk of the Executive Council.