Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 78.]

No. 78.

Memorandum on Reserves in the Puketapu Block, Manukau.

I Distinctly remember proceeding to Ihaia's settlement, in the. Puketapu Block, previous to its purchase. While there I had a conversation with him respecting the purchase of it. Ihaia mentioned to me—pointing out at the same time an elderly female and a grown lad, whose names I have forgotten—that they were the principal and original owners of the land, and that it would be necessary that a reserve should be made in order that he and they should always have a home on the land, and that he should like it to include their settlement and cultivation, where we then were. The name of this place he himself told me was Parairai. No allusion was at that time made to a reserve at Whakarongo.

Subsequently, on my proceeding to Waiuku to complete the purchase of this block, Aihepene asked me whether any reserve had been made by Ihaia. I told him one reserve of a hundred acres had been made by him at his settlement. Aihepene then, evidently from a strong feeling of jealousy, said that he must have a similar reserve made for him, and then mentioned Whakarongo as the locality, which was consented to by me after considerable delay.

The way in which the reserves are mentioned in the deed conveys, by implication, their respective ownership only.

William N. Searancke.

5th September, 1862.

Minutes.

Mr. Searancke having decided that Ihaia is entitled to Parairai, and that Whakarongo was intended for Aihepene, they should be informed accordingly.—J. Rogan. 2nd December, 1862.

For Mr. Searancke. To state to whom the Crown grant for Whakarongo should be issued, as well as Parairai.—J. Rogan. 12th January, 1863.

Parairai is for Ihaia te Manga; Whakarongo is for Kaihau Aihepene.—William N. Searancke. 12th January, 1863.