Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 94.]

No. 94.

Mr. Commissioner Kemp to the Native Secretary.

Respecting Purchase of the Kahikatea Reserve. District Commissioner's Office, Bay of Islands, 20th May, 1865.

Sir,—

With reference to the memorandum dated the 16th instant, in further explanation of the negotiations for the purchase of the bush reserve adjoining the coal mines at the Kawakawa I have now the honour to forward, for the information of the Hon. the Native Minister, the copy of a letter, with translation attached, from the chief Kawhiti, who is the leading man in this district, on the same subject. After giving the subject careful consideration, I think I shall best consult the interests of the Government by paying the money to the Native settlers as soon as the plan is completed, believing that, under the circumstances, there will be no difficulty in arranging a transfer of the land in question in the usual manner to the provincial authorities.

I have, &c.,

H. Tacy Kemp,
District Commissioner.

The Native Secretary, Wellington.

Enclosure.

[i roto i te reo Māori]

Bay of Islands.—Urging Purchase of the Kahikatea Reserve. Kawakawa, Waiomio, 17 Mei, 1865.

E.hoa,—

Tenei ano te kupu ki a koe Ki te oti te ruri a te Pepene, i te Kawakawa, ki te hoki-atu raua, kia hohorotia mai nga moni te whakaputa kia wawe te riro atu te whenua i a koe, kei puta nga raruraru a te Maori; engari, kia tere nga moni te puta. I mea atu au ki a koe i to taua korerotanga i Kororareka, ki te oti te ruri, o te Kawawawa e hohoro ranei te whakaputa, i nga moni? Mea mai ana koe ki au, "Ae." Ka mea atu au, kei pera me ta Mita Hane Wiremu me Ngahuhu na te roa, ka he; ki te puta nga moni, hei Kororareka puta ai—ka mutu ena kupu.

Maihi P. Kawhiti.

Ki a Te Henare Kepa, kei Te Kerikeri.

[ko te tohutoro i roto i te reo Māori]

[Translation.]

Kawakawa, Waiomia, 17th May, 1865.

Friend,—

My address to you is this: As soon as Mr. Fairburn has finished the survey of the Kawakawa, and they have returned, let no time be lost in paying the money, and cause the land to fall into your hands at once, before any further questions (unforeseen) arise on the part of the Native sellers. Let then there be no delay in paying the money. When we were discussing the matter at Kororareka, I inquired of you thus: "When the survey is finished will the money soon after be paid?" Your answer was, "Yes." I then observed that it was better that it should be so, lest a similar proceeding arise to that which has taken place in the negotiations entered into by Mr. Henry Williams for the purchase (under the new Act) of the Ngahuhu Blocks, viz., the delay in the payment of the money has set aside the purchase. When the money is paid, let it be paid at Kororareka.

Maihi P. Kawhiti.

Mr. Henry Kemp, Kerikeri.