Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

(No. 2) — Mr. Commissioner W. L. Buller to Mr. Surveyor Field

(No. 2)
Mr. Commissioner W. L. Buller to Mr. Surveyor Field.

As to Subdivisional Survey of the Putiki Reserve. Resident Magistrate's Office, Whanganui, 4th June, 1865:

Sir,—

I am in receipt of your letter of the 27th ultimo in reference to the subdivisional survey of the Puitiki Reserve.

If Mr. Woon (who has been appointed under the 17th clause of "The Native Reserves Act, 1865") is prepared to report the assent of the Natives owning the reserve to its being brought under the operation of the Act, the principal difficulty adverted to in your letter will be at once obviated, and the progress of the survey no longer retarded by frivolous and vexatious claimants; for when the report has been adopted in Council and published in the New Zealand Gazette the Commissioner will proceed to administer the reserve himself in accordance with the provisions of the Act. But the first step is to get an accurate description of boundaries, in order that the reserve may be correctly defined in the schedule appended to Mr. Woon's report. I shall feel obliged, therefore, by your furnishing me with such description at your earliest convenience.

I have, &c.,

W. Buller, R.M.,
Commissioner of Native Reserves.

H. C. Field, Esq., Surveyor, Whanganui.