Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

[No. 97.]

No. 97.

Major Speedy, R.M., to the Hon. the Native Minister.

The Claims of Natives to the Landing-place as a Reserve. Resident Magistrate's Office, Waiuku, 27th November, 1865.

Sir,—

I have the honour to inform you that a piece of land situated in the Village of Waiuku has been just cut up by the Government surveyors. This land is claimed by Aihepene and Hori. It is not among the pieces reserved by Mr. Turton for them, but I am given to understand that, since the completion of the purchase of the West Waiuku Block from the Ngatiteatas, Mr. Turton has offered them £100 for the piece referred to. I enclose a memorandum of Mr. Halse's, which mentions it as a Native reserve.

Hori Tauroa interfered with the surveyors, but on my promise to write to Government about it, and my assurance to him that the fact of the Government surveying it would not interfere with the title of the rightful owners, he allowed the survey to proceed.

I have, &c.,

Jas. Speedy,
Resident Magistrate.

The Hon. the Native Minister, Wellington.

Memorandum of General Government Agent.

Mr. Warner is requested to state whether the surveyors referred to are Provincial Government surveyors; and, if so, what are the instructions in reference to the survey of the land referred to.—Fred. Whitaker. 8th December, 1866.

The General Government Agent to Major Speedy.

Office of the Agent for the General Government, Auckland, 13th December, 1865.

Sir,—

With reference to a letter from you under date November 27th, addressed to the Hon. the Native Minister, I have the honour to inform you that, beyond the completion of the survey of the land at Waiuku, to which Aihepene and Hori make a claim, nothing will be done until Mr. Turton or Mr. Mackay has made inquiry into the circumstances of the case.

I have, &c.,

Fred. Whitaker.

page 50

Minute.

Mr. Warner.—In reference to the land at Waiuku, let the survey commenced be completed, but no further steps taken without further authority. Inform me when same complete.—Fred. Whitaker. 12th December, 1865.

Minute of General Government Agent.

It appears to me from these papers that the land in question is part of the Waiuku Village, and is Crown land which has been handed over to the province. It also appears that the provincial authorities set the land apart as a landing-place, &c., for the Natives, and that it has been so used. The setting-apart, however, was not in exercise of any legal authority, and therefore did not change the character of the title, so that the land is still at the disposal of the province. Having regard, however, to Mr. Turton's statement of the object and use of still allowing the land to be used as heretofore, I do not think it would be right to sell it. Let it therefore be retained for use as heretofore, and let all parties be informed that it will be kept for this purpose as long as the Government think it necessary. Refer to the Waste Lands Commissioner to carry out the above.—Fred. Whitaker. 29th January, 1866.

Minute by Deputy Waste Lands Commissioner.

The surveyor has been employed by the authority of the Provincial Government (vide correspondence 1502/65); and I beg to add, for his Honour's information and that of the General Government, that when the Waiuku Block was surveyed in 1855 all the Native reserves therein were defined, the portion of land at present adverted to not being one of them; that the block was subdivided for sale in 1856 by the Provincial Government, and then the spot alluded to, together with another adjoining piece of land, were set aside for the temporary accommodation of the Natives trading at Waiuku, in order that they might not interfere with intending settlers. The correspondence above quoted will show how the case has been recently dealt with.—H. N. Warner, Deputy Waste Lands Commissioner. 9th December, 1865.

Minute.

Inform Major Speedy that nothing will be done in reference to the land beyond the completion of the survey until Mr. Turton or some other person has investigated the question of title. Refer to Mr. Turton, if he is about to return; if not, to Mr. Mackay.—Fred. Whitaker. 12th December, 1865.