Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 2. — The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to the Chief Commissioner

No. 2.
The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to the Chief Commissioner.

In reference to the Five-per-Cents introduced into Deeds of Sale. Government House, Wellington, 20th December 1855.

Sir,—

I have the honour, by direction of His Excellency the Governor, to request you to be good enough to report, for his information, on the nature of the [unclear: arrangement] made by the late Governor, Sir G. Grey, by which 5 per cent. from the proceeds of certain lands has been reserved for the Natives who originally sold the land to the Government. I am also to request you to state to what extent such a contract is now in force, in what provinces, and over what lands, and whether any sum due on that account is included in the £13,000 estimated by you as necessary to complete purchases of land already made. His Excellency would also wish to know whether a contract of that kind is now being made in Native land purchases; and, if so, His Excellency is of opinion that it should not be repeated in future negotiations, and requests you to be good enough to issue instructions accordingly.

I have, &c.,

W. Gisborne,
(For the Colonial Secretary.)

D. McLean, Esq., Chief Commissioner.