Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

(No. 3.) — Mr. Maning to Mr. Fenton

(No. 3.)
Mr. Maning to Mr. Fenton.

Sir,—

Hokianga, 28th June, 1867.

In addition to my report of the 24th instant, I have the honour to mention the following particulars illustrative of the working of the Native Lands Act in this district. I have lately been applied to by the representatives of tribes here for direction as to the proper mode of procedure in procuring Crown titles for four different blocks of land, two of which I estimate at about 100,000 acres each, and the other two at about 30,000 acres each. The survey of one of the 30,000-acre blocks is now nearly completed, and the application to have the title investigated will soon be sent in. The page 27survey of the second 30.000-acre block will, I believe, soon be commenced, arrangements having been made for that purpose The surveys of the two larger blocks may not be commenced for some time, as the expense will be very considerable, much forest line having to be cut, and the Native owners of the land will have to raise the money to meet the expense of survey previous to commencing the work, and also to come to an understanding as to exact boundaries with neighbouring Native landholders. The intention of the owners of the two larger blocks, which I estimate at about 100,000 acres each, is in the first instance to secure the whole tribal estate by a grant from the Crown to the tribe, and afterwards to subdivide the whole, giving each family its share, to be also secured by a grant from the Crown to individuals the heads of families The labour and expense incident to the first general survey and the subsequent division and subdivision will be very great as compared to the means of the Natives for meeting it, and consequently I dare say it will be three or four years before the whole operation respecting these two blocks will be completed The block of 30,000 acres, of which I have said the survey will probably be soon commenced, is a very valuable piece of land, and is intended to be offered for sale by the owners, who have already secured to themselves 14,000 acres of first-rate land by grants, inalienable, from the Crown, and have also about 25,000 more, which they wish to secure to themselves in the same manner, and of which the survey is now very nearly completed. Notwithstanding the heavy expense and consequent delay which Natives are put to in establishing their claims and procuring Crown grants for the same, I do not think it would be advisable, except in very exceptional cases, to give thein any assistance under section 77, "Native Lands Act, 1865;" for if it was afforded in one case many applications would be made for the like, and difficulties would probably in many cases arise before the Government would be reimbursed the expense. Another reason which appears to me of weight against giving assistance as above is that the progress hitherto made in the working of the Native Lands Act has arisen and will arise from tbe bond fide exertions and expense gone to by the Natives themselves, and to which they have been prompted by a not unintelligent appreciation of the benefit of holding land as private property; and which progress, whatever it may be, will therefore present reliable data for political speculation, whereas under the circumstances of assistance being given, if to any considerable extent, the apparent progress made might be delusive.

I have, &c.,

F. E. Maning.

F. D. Fenton, Esq.,

Chief Judge, Native Land Court, Auckland.