Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Tahere's Bush Block, Porowanui River, Mangonui District

Tahere's Bush Block, Porowanui River, Mangonui District.

Know all men by these presents that We the undersigned Natives of New Zealand has 1836. 14 May.Mangonui District. sold to James Bergin and William Murphy of Mungonui New Zealand all rights titles and interest to the Land Timber and Creeks on the right hand side of Browanue River Tahere's Bush and known as Taherry's sacred Ground. Landmarks laid down. Be it further understood Boundaries. and to prevent all disputes and misunderstanding hereafter that we the undersigned [300 acres.] do sell let and make over unto James Bergiu William Murphy their heirs and James Berghan. page 22successors for ever all rights titles and Interest the Land Timber and Creeks and to extend back from the River as far as Timber can be got out, to the Land Timber and Receipt. Creeks as above laid down. We the undersigned do acknowledge to have received from James Bergin and William Murphy 1 Pair of Blankets 1 Shirt 2 Looking Glasses as a full and just payment for the Land Timber and Creeks to be held without let or hindrance from us our heirs and successors for ever by James Bergin and William Murphy their heirs and successors for ever In Witness whereof we set our hands and scals this 14th May 1836.

Tyup his mark x L.S.
Taherry his mark x L.S.

Witness—

Thomas Ryan x his mark.
John Brook.

Endorsment. Borghan's claims forfeited. I, James Berghan forfeit all rights and claims to these deeds unto William Murphy of Doubtless Bay New Zealand in presence of the undersigned.

James Berghan.

Witness—

George Thomas.
Thomas Flavell x my mark.
Thomas Briggs x my mark.