Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Waikeke Block, Doubtless Bay, Mangonui District

Waikeke Block, Doubtless Bay, Mangonui District.

Know all men by these presents that I (Ewarri) Native Chief of (Odudu) Doubtless 1838. 21 June.Mangonui District. Bay New Zealand, on the twenty-first of June in the Year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty-eight, has sold and made over unto Thomas Ryan of Munganui, Waikeke. Sawyer, all rights titles and Interest to a piece of Ground Known by the Native Name Thomas Ryan. of (Wy ke ke) bounded on the South-east side by a fresh water creek up to a Kaikatoa Boundaries. tree then running W. by S. to a Hill called Ruetera then running back to the harbour to [10 acres.] a tree in the cliff at the boundary of land claimed by Ryan and Berghan the S.S.E. four hundred yards till it come to the Creek at the S.E. boundary to extend back eighteen hundred yds. To prevent all disputes and misunderstanding hereafter, I Ewarri aforesaid do acknowlede to have received from Thomas Ryan aforesaid 50lbs. Powder 1 piece Receipt. of Calico and one piece of print, as full and just payment for the piece of Ground as above described, to be held by the aforesaid Thomas Ryan his heirs and Successors for ever without let or hindrance from me (Ewarri) aforesaid my heirs and Successors for ever. Iu Witness whereof I set my hand and seal this the 21st of June 1838.

Ewarri x my mark.

Witnessed by—

James Berghan.
Geo. Thomas.
Chas. Bacon.

Boundaries witnessed by—

Wi Kaitaia x his mark.
Hotete.