Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Otauwera Block (Berghan and Ryan), Mangonui District

Otauwera Block (Berghan and Ryan), Mangonui District

1839. 7 November.Mangonui District.Know all Men by these presents that I Ewari a Native Chief of Doubtless Bay, New Zealand this 7th day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred Otauwera. Berghan and Ryan. and thirty-nine, for and in consideration of 1 Box or 185 lb. of Cavendish Tobacco 8 pair of Blankets 10 pair of duck Trowers 1 piece of print 12 cotton shirts 12 regatta shirts 12 handkerchiefs 2 shawls 1 Guernsey frock 1 Beavor hat 1 fowling piece and 7£ Receipt. seven pounds sterling. To me in hand paid by James Berghan and Thomas Ryan of Mungonui New Zealand the receipt whereof 1 do hereby acknowledge, Have bargained sold and delivered and by these presents do bargain sell and deliver unto the said James Berghan and Thomas Ryan all that piece or parcel of Land timber water mines and minerals pertaining thereunto and known by the Native name of Otau Weera and Boundaries [25 acres.] situated in the Mungonui River bounded as follows: Front by the Harbour of Mungonui, West by Goe Goe, South by Wykeke, North by Kyparera, To have and to hold the aforesaid bargained premises unto the said James Berghan and Thomas Ryan their heirs and successors for ever. I the said Ewari for myself my heirs and successors shall and will warrant and defend the same against all persons unto the said James Berghan page 43and Thomas Ryan their heirs and successors by these presents. In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 7th day of November 1839.

Ewari my x mark and seal.

In presence of—

John Smith.
George Sinclair.
James Whitaker my x mark.

I hereby acknowledge all Lands purchased by James Berghan from the Raputu people Additional receipt. for 11£ ten shillings paid to me this 16th March 1840, and one large Cowri Spar when he can get it out, valued £10.

Nopera Panakareoi my x mark.