Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

1839. 13 February.Know all men who see this Book I Herua (my other name is Kahukoti), a Chief of Hauraki District.Ngatipaoa do give up and sell my land at Taupo (the other name is Okeno) every thing above and below the said Land to Rutene (his English name is William James Lewington) Okeno. entirely for his use for ever on this thirteenth day of February in the Year of our W. J. Lewington.Lord One Thousand eight hundred and thirty-nine.
Boundaries. [2,000 acres.]And this said land Taupo is situated within Pakihi on the main Land and these are the boundaries: it begins on the Western side of Koherurahi then runs inland to Orakau thence goes along the top of the Ridge to Waiwakairo thence to Papakauri to Puketotara to Mata Kokaho to Kopi. The northern boundary is the sea. The Two Headlands run into the sea.
Receipt.We have received these things from William James Lewington as a payment for the said Land, Taupo, Forty Blankets, One Cask of Tobacco (117 lbs.), Twelve Gowns, Twelve Shirts, Twelve pair of Trowsers, Six Spades, Twelve Axes, One Piece of Calico, 6 Iron Pots, Twenty Spanish dollars and one sovereign are given for the sacred places on the land.

[Witnesses.]

[Signatures.]

A True Translation.

G. Clarke, Interpreter.

No. 136.O.L.C. A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington,19th November, 1878.