Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Te Kohi Block, River Kawakawa, Bay of Islands District

Te Kohi Block, River Kawakawa, Bay of Islands District.

Know all men by these presents that I Pamuka being the Chief of a Tribe resident at 1839. 6 August.Bay of Islands District. the Bay of Islands New Zealand do hereby agree with John Church also resident at the Bay of Islands for and in consideration of the sum hereafter mentioned do transfer unto Te Kohi.John Church. the said John Church all that piece of land situated on the west side of the Kowa Kowa river and known by the name of Kohee, adjoining on the one side the land belonging to William Forman and on the other side the land occupied by myself on the S.E. side [63 acres.] 147 feet, on the N.E. side 174 feet frontage to low water mark and extending backwards South 216 and West 198 feet from the bank; And I the said Pamuka have full authority and right to transfer and make over the said piece of land as hereinbefore mentioned unto the said John Church his heirs, executors and administrators, and do hereby for myself my heirs and successors guarantee That the said John Church shall hereafter enjoy quiet and peaceful possession of the said premises. In witness hereof I hereby set my hand and seal this sixth day of August in the year of our Lord 1839.

Bomooke his x mark.
Na Pamuka.

Witness—

Jn. Johnson.
D, Mason.
James Stewart.
John T. Moffat.
Wm. Potter.

Receipt. Received of John Church the sum of One hundred dollars. Witness my hand and seal Augt. 7th 1839.

Bomooke his x mark.
Na Pamuka.

A True Copy.

Henry Kemp.