Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Extract from Land Claims Commissioner's Report. — In the Court of Claims

Extract from Land Claims Commissioner's Report.
In the Court of Claims.

Commissioner's report.In the matter of the grant issued 22nd October, 1844, to Benjamin Nisbet, for 106 acres at Waimate, Claim 180.

This grant was called in by the Attorney-General, by notice dated 5th September, 1857, and upon examination was adjudged void and cancelled.

By deeds dated respectively 21st July, 1848, 12th October, 1848, and 12th September, 1855, Benjamin Nisbet assigned away all the land to which he was entitled by this Grant to George Clarke, George Scott, and John Hart. These three accordingly claimed the issue of new Grants in their own names. By a letter to me, dated 4th October, 1853, page 217George Clarke, gave me notice that he had assigned his third share to George Scott; and Scott personally appeared before me and requested that the new Grants for the two-thirds now owned by him should be issued in equal moieties to his two sons George Scott the younger and William Scott.

It is accordingly hereby directed that Grants be issued to George Scott the younger for ninety acres; to William Scott for ninety acres; and to John Hart the younger for fifty acres: being in lieu of the Grant formerly issued to B. Nisbet in Claim 180.

Auckland, 15th April, 1859.

F. D. Bell, L.C.C.

A True Transcript of Certified Copy of Original Deed, Translation, and Report.No. 180.O.L.C.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, 10th December, 1878.