Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

page 101

Translation.

Learn all men from this article drawn up on this 23rd day of September in the year of 1834. 23 September.Bay of Islands District.our Lord 1834, being signed by us Charley Hongi, Waraki and party as a proof that we do make over to Mr. Davis, to his children, and their generations for ever a portion of land bearing the name of Kaihu, estimated at thirty acres more or less; and we do also Kaihu.sell with that land all that is growing on the said land. Be it known therefore that we Richard Davis.do make over all to Mr. Davis, to his children, and their generations for ever, and do receive in return from Mr. Davis as an equivalent for the said land 30 Dollars, 3 iron Receipt. pots, 3 axes, 3 adzes, 3 hoes, and 5 lbs. of tobacco. Be it known also that the said land is Bounded on the South West by a portion of wooded land purchased by the Mission Boundaries. [30 acres.]of Penamahue: on the South and South East by the land and wood purchased by Mr. Davis of Kowiti and Huatahi, known by the name of Mohoao: on the East by the lands of Waraki, Witirua and Makutahi: and from thence it joins the brook Kaihu which brook forms the Northern boundary, and is the boundary till you come to the above mentioned land purchased by the Mission of the said Penamahue. As a proof therefore of the identity of this deed we do hereby sign our names.

[Witnesses.]

[Signatures.]

I now agree to this book and to the boundaries of Charles Hongi, and this to prove 1838. 13 January.its identity. I have received from Mr. Davis 3 Ewes as an equivalent for my share on the 13th January 1838.Rawiri’s receipt.

[Signatures.]