Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

Learn all men from this deed, We Puhi and William Ngawaro do hereby make over a 1837. 24 October.piece of land to Mr. Davis and to his posterity for ever, made over on the 24th of Patutahi.October in the year of our Lord 1837. The name of the land is Patutahi in the District Richard Davis.of Waimate: it is in size Seven acres more or less; and these are the things which we receive as payment, 5 blankets and 5 lbs. tobacco. It is bounded on the South by Boundaries. [7 acres.]James Davis’s fence and the land of Waraki: on the West by the land purchased by Mr. Davis of Parore: on the North by the road up to a Puriri stump: on the East from the said Puriri stump to the Wood, and along the edge of the Wood to Ngawaro’s house.

[Witnesses.]

[Signatures.]

Since the above transaction I William Puhi have received two Blankets: in connection Extra payment.therefore I sign my name.

Wiremu Puhi.