Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

1839. 14 May.Know all men that I hereby sell that portion of land purchased by me of Hemi Kutu Kaihu (Part of).and friends to Mr. Davis, for him and for his posterity for ever. The name of the place is Kaihu: the size is 10 acres more or less, and is in the district of Waimate not far Richard Davis.from Mr. James Davis’s barn, bounded by the stream Kaihu on one side and by Mr. [10 acres.]Davis’s land on the other side even to Kaihu. This land is sold with all upon it for ever to Mr. Davis on the 14th day of May in the year of our Lord One thousand Eight Receipt for £5.hundred and thirty-nine. The payment is Five Pounds of money. This document is signed in the presence of witnesses, and the deed of James Kutu. I Richard Tamaka do give also to Mr. Davis as I am the buyer and now the seller of the land.

[Witnesses.]

[Signatures.]