Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Matahui Block (W. D. Brind), Bay of Islands District

Matahui Block (W. D. Brind), Bay of Islands District.

Feby. 23rd, 1834.
1834. 23 February.Bay of Islands District.Be it known unto all men that I A. Riewa or A. Manu Chief of the tribe of Na Poois in Matahui. the Island of New Zealand with the consent of the said tribe testified by the leading men W. D. Brind. thereof signing and confirming this deed in consideration of Four Double barrel’d Guns and Two Hundred Weight of Gun Powder paid to me the said A Riewa or A Manu Receipt. Chief of the said tribe for and on account of and for the benefit and advantage of myself and the said tribe do give and grant to William Derby Brind of Ship Toward Castle that tract of land containing about six hundred English acres bounded on the North by a line Boundaries. [440 acres.] drawn from the Bluff known by the name of Arootootoo keeping Mr. Williams’ house at Paihia open with the Rock called Kaiarara, continued over the Hill to the pathway leading from Kororareka to Matowi Bay, from thence by the pathway leading to Paroa Bay. On the South by a line drawn in a N. Ely direction from the Bluff call’d Tomati to Paroa Bay. On the East by Paroa Bay, and on the West by Pomare’s Bay, together with all the rights and priviledges belonging thereto to be held by him the said William Derby Brind his heirs and assigns for ever as fully as the said tribe or I their Chief or any of my successors could have held the same if this deed had not been made. In Witness whereof I the said A. Riewa or A Manu chief of the said tribe and we the principal men thereof have signed and sealed this conveyance and ratified and confirmed this grant in the usual way and with the necessary forms.

The mark of A Riewa x. L.S.
The mark of Woohapookoo x. L.S.
The mark of Pirow x. L.S.
The mark of Monginue x. L.S. The mark of Mokah x. L.S.

Signed sealed and delivered in the presence of—

Thos. J. Trapp.

Witness to signing—

Lenitz Grubb.
Joseph W. Clark.
Frederick Hunt.
R. Hamilton Allen.