Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Matapuratahi Block, inside Point Pocock, Bay of Islands District

Matapuratahi Block, inside Point Pocock, Bay of Islands District.

1835. 2 September.Bay of Islands District. Know all men by these presents. This Indenture witnesseth that I Tatara of the Bay of Islands have bargained for and sold to Edward Bolger Master Mariner of the Barque Governor Halkett to his heirs and assigns for ever a piece or parcel of land known by Matapuratahi. the name of Matapuratahi situated on the North side of the Bay of Islands with all its Edward Bolger. woods waters water courses &c.
Bounded on the Eastern and Southern sides by the sea, on the West by a water Boundaries. [150 acres.] run commencing on the beach, and on the North by a continuation of the same water run in a Right line to a small peaked hill (Kawerro). The commencement of Eastern boundary including Mootu Tui. For and in consideration of the said land above named Receipt. the said Edward Bolger doth pay to Tatara in presence of the witnesses 1 Cask Tobacco (200 lbs.) 10 Hoes 9 Spades 2 Pea Jackets 2 pr. Blankets and 1 Tomahawk which I deem good and sufficient payment for said land.

Witness my hand this second day of September in the year of our Lord 1835. Bay of Islands, New Zealand.

Tatara his mark x.

Witnesses—

Wycatto his mark x.
Kiripiru his mark x.
Uriakka his mark x.
Joseph Eldridge.

True Copy.

H. Tacy Kemp.