Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

1835. 25 September.Listen all men to this book of mine, of Tuki: I let go and sell to Mr. Baker a piece of Keruwhenua. land of Kororareka of mine (called) Keruwenua, for him and for his children to sit Charles Baker. upon to sell or to do as he pleases with for ever. The boundary is this. On the South Boundaries. by land sold by Tareha and Hakiro, on the West by the kumara houses of Ngateporo and the large Swamp, on the North by land that belonged to Hautakari running through to Receipt. Matauhi, On the East by Matauhi. The payment I received was two blankets, one pound in money, three axes, one hoe, four scissors, two combs, six pounds of tobacco ten pipes. Therefore I write my name to this giving up, to this sale, on the twentyfifth day of September one thousand eight hundred and thirty-five.

[Signatures.]

[Witnesses.]