Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Koririkopunui Block, River Wairoa, Kaipara District

Koririkopunui Block, River Wairoa, Kaipara District.

Kaipara,

20th January, 1840.
1840. 20 January.Kaipara District.Koririkopunui.Know all Men by these presents that I Paikea a chief of Kaipara have this day sold to William Christmas, Merchant, of Sydney, the estate contained within the following William Christmas. boundaries to be held and possessed by him and his heirs for ever. The boundaries of Boundaries. [1,000 acres.] the said estate are as follows, viz. from the mouth of the creek Koririkopunui along the Wairoa River to the creek Kowatiia as river frontage, then along the said creek Kokirikopunui following its course three English miles from which point a straight line to the termination or source of the creek Kowatiia, and then following the course of the said Kowatiia to the Wairoa river. This estate I Paikea for myself and heirs have sold and do sell to the said William Christmas aforesaid of Sydney, Merchant, for and Consideration. in consideration of the following articles, viz. Thirty pounds in Gold and twenty dollars current coin, twenty pairs of blankets, two double barrel fowling pieces, four gown pieces, one cask of Tobacco, twenty shirts, ten pairs of trowsers, two cloaks, one bag sugar, and four broad axes, And further I Paikea do hereby acknowledge and declare Receipt for £5 deposit. that I have received same day and date of these presents the sum of five pounds sterling as deposit and security for the fulfilment of this Indenture by both the aforesaid parties The rest of the articles to be delivered on their arrival from Sydney. In witness whereof I hereunto affix my hand and seal on the day and date above mentioned.

Signed Paikea. L.S.

In presence of—
Signed Thomas Spencer Forsaith.
Richard I. Lowry, Chief Off. ship "Tory."

1840. 8 July.Receipt for £30. I hereby acknowledge to have received from the said Wm. Christmas of Sydney aforesaid the sum of Thirty pounds sterling lawful coin of Great Britain being part of the stipulated payment. In witness whereof I have this day set my hand. July 8th, 1840.

(Signed) Paikea.

In presence of—
(Sd.) Elizath. Forsaith.

True Copy of the Original.
C. Davis, Interpreter.

Kaipara, New Zealand.

Receipt for cash and merchandise. Received of William Christmas of Sydney, Gentleman, the undermentioned articles, being payment in full for the Land and estate which I Paikea a chief of Kaipara sold and conveyed to him the said William Christmas on the twentieth day of January 1840 as particularized in the Indenture which I on that day duly signed sealed and delivered, viz. Twenty dollars current coin, twenty pairs of blankets, two double barrelled fowling page 303 pieces, four gown pieces, one cask of tobacco, twenty shirts, ten pairs of trowsers, two Cloaks, one bag of sugar, and four broad axes, and five muskets, five rugs and five single blankets (extra).

Signed Paikea.

In presence of—
Signed Thomas Spencer Forsaith.
Tirarau, Chief of Wairoa.

True Copy of the Original.

C. Davis, Interpreter.