Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Hurakia Island, near Waiheke, Auckland District

Hurakia Island, near Waiheke, Auckland District.

The Native Deed being wanting, an extract from the Commissioners' reports and evidence 1840. 11 January.Auckland District. taken on the first hearing of this claim is hereby grven. Hurakia Island.

H. H. T.

Claim 202.
G. F. Robinson,
Claimant.

Auckland, 6th September, 1844.
Frederick Whitaker, being duly sworn, states: I appear as agent for G. F. Robinson, Land Claims Court, Coromandel.Frederick whitaker. and claim on his behalf an island in the Firth of the Thames called Hourakia, page 320situated about 2½ miles N.W. of the Island Motu Tapu. I am informed that this island was purchased by Thomas Maxwell, of Waiheke, on the 11th of January, 1840, [500 acres.]from the Native Chiefs Adirangi and others, who received goods to the amount of £40 sterling for it. In the same year 1840, or at the beginning of 1841, I was present and saw the said Thomas Maxwell sign a transfer of this land to the claimant, G. F. Robinson. As his agent I delivered this deed of transfer to Mr. Warbrick for the purpose of having the claim examined at Coromandel Harbour.

Fredk. Whitaker.

A. Warbrick. Abraham Warbrick, being duly sworn, states: In the month of June, 1844, I received from Mr. Whitaker a deed of transfer of the Island of Hourakia, executed by Thomas Maxwell (deceased) to the claimant, G. F. Robinson, for the purpose of appearing before the Commissioner at Coromandel Harbour, investigating this claim. The boat that conveyed me to Coromandel Harbour was totally wrecked on the heads of that harbour the night after my arrival, and this deed was then lost, and has not since been recovered. I made an appearance before the Commissioner and stated this loss to him.

A. Warbrick.

Tara. Adirangi or Tara, a Native chief, not understanding the nature of an oath, but declaring to tell the truth, states: Before the arrival of the Government in New Zealand an agreement was made by me and other chiefs for the sale to Thomas Maxwell of the Island of Hourakia. I received no payment for this island; but before Mr. Maxwell died he agreed to give me 1 double-barrelled gun, 3 casks of gunpowder, 10 blankets, and 3 coats. This payment I was to have received for Hourakia and Otata. Ngatai and Ruinga did receive payment for Motutapu, Hourakia, and Otata. If the above payment be now given to me I will relinquish all my claim on the Island of Hourakia. Ngatai and Runinga took from Mr. Maxwell all the payment he had agreed to give for the islands, my share inclusive; and, in consideration of this, Mr. Maxwell agreed to give me the goods I have named, but he died without doing so.

Henry T. Clarke,
Int.