Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Old Private Land Purchases in New Zealand, From the Year 1815 to 1840, with Pre-Emptive and Other Claims

Translation

Translation.

1845. 15 January.Auckland DistrictWaiatarua. Joseph Robinson.Hearken, all men, to the words of this surrender. I, Paora Kawharu of Okahu, Waitemata do hereby fully consent to sell and alienate to Joseph Robinson the piece of land called Waiatarua to be taken and held by Joseph Robinson, by his seed after him, and by the persons whom he may leave to be always and entirely held by them for ever. I, Paora Kawharu do also fully agree to give up all waters, stones, trees and every thing lying or standing on that land to Joseph Robinson to his children and all he may leave after him for ever. I, Paora Kawharu will not sell it to any other person nor will I take away anything lying on that piece, but they are surrendered entirely by me Paora to be held or sold by Joseph Robinson to whomsoever he pleases.
Receipt.I, Paora Kowharu do consent fully to the following articles as payment:—1 bag of Flour, 1 Writing desk, 1 Silver Watch with seal and key, 4 Coats, 3 Waistcoats, 2 Shirts, 1 pr. Stockings, 1 pr. Boots, 1 pr. Trowsers, 2 Blankets, 6 red Shawls.
Boundaries. [160 acres.]This piece of land is situated on the South side of the road to Tamaki. It is bounded on the North by the property of Mr. Moffitt: to the West by land not yet sold to the Europeans: on the South and Eastern side by Native lands. All these boundaries have been shown and settled by me Paora Kawharu. And having fully consented to the terms written in this Deed, I affix my name on this the 15th January, 1845.

[Signature.]

[Witnesses.]